When the little town of Sioux City was just a few years old, its citizens became eager to open a school. A board of education was formed, but funds were not available right away. Then, a group of businessmen agreed to fund a school session of six months, and Miss Mary Wilkins was hired as the teacher of this first school. Her salary was fifty dollars a month, which was a generous amount for a teacher at that time.
Mary Wilkins arrived in Sioux City on the first steamer of the season, the Omaha, on April 26, 1857. Her schoolhouse, the first in Sioux City, was located on a sloping lot on the east side of Nebraska Street, between Seventh and Eighth Streets. The unpainted wooden building had three brick pillars, six wooden steps and a school bell. Inside, it was fitted with long wooden benches. Long tables were placed against the walls for writing. The schoolhouse was used for many community activities including lectures, music and church services.
Woodbury County was officially organized with an act of the Iowa legislature in 1853. The area was originally named Wahkaw, but when the county was officially organized, it was named after a Supreme Court justice, Levi Woodbury. From New Hampshire, Woodbury served on the Supreme Court for five years until his death in 1851.
William Thompson’s little log house at Floyd’s Bluff was selected as the first county seat of Woodbury County in 1853. The little town of Sioux City became the county seat in the spring of 1956.
For the first twenty years, Woodbury County’s government did not have a permanent building. The courthouse offices were scattered in other buildings around town, often in homes.
In 1906, an independent park commission headed by Edwin C. Peters purchased thirty acres of pastureland on the city's north side. Peters later recalled, "When the commission was appointed, there was no park sentiment in Sioux City - After a prolonged fight, we got a 2 mill levy for park purposes, and that levy raised $16,000." The commission decided that the north side of town, since it had no park, would be the park commission's first undertaking.
Sioux City’s first City Hall was actually as a library. Built in 1891 by the Library Building Association for $122,000, it stood on the northwest corner of Sixth and Douglas. The library occupied the first floor and city offices were located on the upper floors. On March 8, 1913, the library moved to a new facility at Sixth and Jackson, and the building became the official City Hall.
After marrying Mazakirawin in Minnesota, he was adopted into the Ihanktonwan or Yankton Sioux around 1830. War Eagle and his wife had seven children, four girls and three boys.